Our model is an Intensive Supported Playgroup, created from the findings of the 2021 review which included the early childhood education evidence base, local professional skill and knowledge, and parent wisdom and values.
The model is documented in a manual written by Dr Kerry Bull, which has facilitated implementation of these playgroups with fidelity to the model, and supports Shine Bright to provide high quality playgroups which are responsive, fun and engaging.
The model’s framework incorporates the following elements:
- Positive relationships are central.
- A cycle of planning, implementation, and review.
- A skilled professional team guides the program.
- Child, family, and community outcomes are conceptualised through an ecological lens.
- Community engagement and capacity building envelop the program.
In addition, the model has six fundamental practice principles which are:
- Developmentally appropriate,
- Family centred,
- Strength-based and capacity building,
- Culturally responsive and inclusive,
- Collaborative teamwork and leadership, and
- Evidence informed and outcomes focussed.
How these elements and practice principles interact is illustrated in the following figure.